The AFHA is a volunteer driven organization that relies on its volunteers for successful operation. As such the need for parent volunteers is extremely important and the AFHA will support all certifications and training required for parents to become confident leaders on the ice. The AFHA working with BC Hockey will identify coaching certification opportunities and will look to host training sessions for our parents and coaches. Parents interested in working with our players on the ice can do so in a Head Coach, Assistant Coach or On-ice Helper role.
To coach, a parent requires:
- Criminal Record Check (CRC): Access Code: LW2DB2FVZ8
- Respect in Sport : Cost: $30 (please keep receipts and submit to the team manager)
- Concussion Awareness Certification (CATT)
- "Planning a Safe Return to Hockey" course
- Coaching Certification: Depending on the age group and level you are interested in coaching different certifications are required. (see table below)
For Hockey Canada members wishing to become trained in Coach 1 or Coach 2 their first stop will be Hockey University. This engaging, interactive online platform provides the baseline of information needed, and it’s all done at your convenience wherever you access the internet.